Ahmedabad is more than a historic city steeped in tradition and character. The cultural capital of India, it has plenty to offer with its eclectic architecture, lively festivals, and unique fashion.
Ahmedabad is more than just "Incredible India". It has become a great city for business, trade and education. It provides a decent standard of living for its citizens. The Gujaratis are known to be some of the friendliest and hard-working people in the world. They have set standards in multiple industries like education, technology, aviation and international trade.
Its role as a trade hub for the Mughal Empire and a stronghold of the Maratha Empire gives it a heritage all of its own. Ahmedabad is known for its rich history, a love of life, and preserving heritage. The architectural beauty of the city is celebrated as some of the country's best places to visit in Ahmedabad, while its natural scenery draws many to take a walk or just hang out. From parks to water tanks, there are a variety of places to visit in Ahmedabad that can be enjoyed by visitors. These attractions are the best tourist places in Ahmedabad.
Here is our list of Top 10 places to visit in Ahmedabad:
1. Sabarmati Ashram
What's the first image that comes to mind when you think of Ahmedabad? If it's not Sabarmati Ashram, then you've clearly learned nothing from school. Travel upriver from the Sabarmati riverfront and you'll find yourself immersed in the life and struggles of India's most famous civil rights leader, Mahatma Gandhi. It is one of the best places in Ahmedabad to visit.
2. The Bhadra Fort
The Bhadra Fort was built in 1411 AD by the first Sultan of the Ahmedabad Sultanate is one of the best tourist places in Ahmedabad. The fort was named after Bhadra Kali, a temple in its courtyard. The temple is said to be devoted to Goddess Lakshmi, and is believed to bring good luck and wealth to the city. It is the best tourist places in Ahmedabad now having a lot of stories to tell. Amongst many palaces and courtyards, there is also a large garden with manicured hedges and rows of cypress trees. The atmosphere around makes it one of the best sightseeing places in Ahmedabad.
3. Jama Masjid
Another popular sightseeing places in Ahmedabad is Jama Masjid which is dedicated to the worship of Allah and can seat over twenty-five thousand worshippers. Originally built by the ruler of the city – Sultan Ahmed Shah – the name Jama Masjid translates to "Friday Mosque", and was intended as a place for Muslim citizens to gather and pray together. The splendid yellow sandstone mosque features two hundred and sixty pillars, each adorned with detailed carvings.
4. Sarkhej Roza
While most monuments in the city feature Islamic architecture, Sarkhej Roza is a breath -taking exception. Complete with gorgeous latticework and intricate carvings, this complex is truly a place for sightseeing in Ahmedabad. The water body that surrounds it, called Sarkhej Lake, only serves to make it more beautiful. While its brackets and pillars are Islamic elements, the majority of ornamental motifs are rather Hindu-influenced. It is an architectural attractions in Ahmedabad.
5. Vastrapur Lake
Chances are, if you want a serene experience within the city's limits, you will take a stroll at the Vastrapur Lake. This lake is a place for sightseeing in Ahmedabad. This man-made lake is in a secluded part of the city, and gives you a sense of calm. The open-air theatre here is host to several cultural shows round the year that you can attend for a glimpse into Gujarat's colourful traditions. This lake offers a respite and is one of the best places to go in Ahmedabad.
6. Kankaria Zoo
If a trip to the zoo isn't already on your list of things to do in Ahmedabad, it should be.A must visit as the famous things in Ahmedabad is to head to this zoo. The zoo is a haven for wildlife lovers and the best places to see in Ahmedabad — you'll see birds, mammals, and reptiles from all over the world. Bring your kids along, or even enjoy an evening stroll through this cultural hub with your friends. Also, did we mention it's located on the banks of Kankaria Lake? If you are planning for a day’s trip to this zoo, you might check out our recommendation on which are the most comfortable flip flops for walking?
7. ISCKON Temple
The ISKCON Temple is a modern representation of ancient bliss. Nestled in the picturesque 15 acres of land, the temple boasts of splendid marble flooring and chandeliers which is why it is one of the best places in Ahemdabad to visit. The stunning golden Krishna idol is the focal point of the place of worship, drawing in thousands of visitors from all over the world. The temple follows Vaishnava tradition and worships deities like Shri Hari, Radha Krishna, Lakshmi Narayan and other gods which is why it is one of the Top 10 places to visit in Ahmedabad.
8. Swaminarayan Temple
The exquisite Swaminarayan Temples of India are an architectural wonder which is one of the must visit places in Ahmedabad for sightseeing in Ahmedabad.The pristine white exteriors are a perfect representation of the grandeur and spectacular views that await you within, and you cannot help but appreciate the fine craftsmanship that went into creating this fine example of Hindu architecture. Within you will find the Nine Yard Saints, captivating structures whose white marble has weathered many years and yet still stands strong. This temple is one of the best places to go in Ahmedabad.
9. Auto World Vintage Car Museum
Don’t forget to go to this museum if you are looking for Top 10 places to visit in Ahmedabad. Roll back in time to a world when cars were the only means of transporting oneself through the city with style and grace. Nowhere else can you travel down such a richly detailed and interesting historical path as at this museum. From vintage cars, to classic convertibles, and even buggies-to-be, this place has got all the best from yesteryear. And if you like cars too, then it's even better. These are the best places in Ahmedabad to visit.
10. Calico Museum of Textiles
One of the beautiful places in Ahmedabad is the oldest museum, it's home to a mind-boggling collection of textiles and garments, the likes of which you've never seen before. Include this in your list of best places in Ahmedabad. A tie-and-dye from Gujarat sits next to a hand-embroidered sari from another state, allowing you a glimpse into the incredible culture — and all at a single glance which makes it one of the best places in Ahmedabad to visit. Get out of the city and see a different side of Gujarat's Culture by visiting these places for sightseeing in Ahmedabad.
We have listed down some tips for the places to go in Ahmedabad:
1. Have a joyful holiday in Ahmedabad. If you love the outdoors, September to October and November to February are good months to have a wonderful time in Ahmedabad. Be sure to visit the old city and the Sabarmati Riverfront, though. They're great for taking family photos, too. It is a great and a famous things in Ahmedabad.
2. It's a good idea to book your tickets for tourist places in Ahmedabad like the Calico Museum of textiles in advance as tickets sell out quickly. If you arrive too late, you'll be dismayed to discover that only 20 people are allowed inside at any one time.
3. Plan your visit to Kankaria Lake during the evening, and keep all your valuables safe while doing so. The lake is really beautiful at night which is why it is one of the must visit places in Ahmedabad. You can even watch a live concert while you're there.
4. Keep all your valuables safe while travelling to the best places in Ahmedabad.
5. Tie and dye fabrics, patola silks, chaniya cholis, traditional textiles, handicrafts and antique jewellery are among the famous things in Ahmedabad to buy.
6. When in Ahmedabad, you must not miss on street foods like khakhra, dhokla, dal vada, khandvi, khaman, fafda, jalebi, samosa, bhajiyas, pani puri, stuffed parathas, pav bhaji, kulfi and bun maska which are the famous things in Ahmedabad.
7. Basundi, Kansas, Shrikhand, Sabudana Kheer, Mohanthal, Ghari, and Aamras are the famous things in Ahmedabad to try. Gwalia Sweets, JaiHind Sweets, and Kandoi Bhogilal Mulchand are the best places in Ahmedabad for sweets.
8. If you follow the precautionary measures for Covid-19 given by the government, maintain social distance, and keep a watch on what you consume then your trip will be much safer. Having said that, your safety is always in your hands.So what are you waiting for? Pack up some warm clothes and comfortable flip flops for yourself as winter is the best time to visit Ahmedabad.